Saturday, September 17, 2011

semi braised seafood/chicken

I love this dish. Once a year, during chinese new year I'll get a chance to eat this. It will be pack with all the expensive ingredients like, sea cucumber (yum yum), abalone, fish maw, scallops and oysters.

I find that this dish is the one of the easiest dish to cook since it does not take much of cutting,cleaning or frying. 

What I did was, I soaked the dried mushrooms, oysters, scallops the night before and left it in the fridge. I wanted to do just one dish for that night, so I substitute the sea cucumber with chicken drumsticks. 

In this dish I have :-

an inch of ginger (julienne)
a clove of garlic
dried mushroom
dried scallop
dried oyster
chicken drumstick
straw mushroom
asparagus mushroom
frozen scallops
1/4 can of abalone clams and liquid
gingko
green beans
black moss / fat choy (hubby wants it, i don't know why....)


ingredients by melmok
photo by melmok on Flickr.

ingredients by melmok
photo by melmok on Flickr

Julienne an inch of ginger, fry it with 1 tbsp of oil. 
When you can smell the aromatic of the ginger, put in the chicken drumsticks.
Fry it for a couple of minutes, then pour about half a cup of water and the rest of the dried ingredients (which has already soaked overnight) + gingko + garlic.

Simmer it till every thing is cook and soft. I waited till the garlic was soft before putting the rest of the ingredients. I use the garlic as a guide... :) Of course the chicken has to be well cook as well. Lastly add the black moss.

Initially, I was using the slow cooker pot. But then the sky was getting dark and our stomach was growling louder...

So I transfered everything in a pot to cook the rest of the ingredients.

ingredients by melmok
photo by melmok on Flickr.


Hubby and I was really hungry by then. So food presentation was out the window. lol....

semi braised seafood by melmok
photo by melmok on Flickr.

No comments: